5.05.2013

The Amazing Art Adventure.

If you ask me to accompany you on an adventure the answer will always be: YES. If you ask me to tag along on an art adventure my answer will be: DOUBLE YES!
Last week one of my work BFFs, Shelley, invited me to ride The Tide with her to Downtown Norfolk to check out The Chrysler Museum of Art's outdoor exhibit, Airborne by Rafael Lozano-Hemmer. 


My sister & I were way too excited to hop on The Tide & use public transportation for the first time in our Hampton Roads history. Even though we easily could have just parked at MacArthur Center for our Norfolk shenanigans, as usual.... this part of the evening added to the adventure & made us feel like tourists for a night!


We enjoyed the marvelous architecture on Freemason Street while we waited for sun to disappear & the poetry to be projected on the wall across from the Chrysler Hall.


"I'm really looking forward to seeing you up there!" said the man at the exhibit as we climbed on to the stage to make our shadows dance on the wall of words & smoke. 


"You can really tell a lot about a person by looking at their shadow," he continued as we shyly posed & moved around... causing the letters to swirl & disappear. "It looks kind of like a galaxy." The man added and the poetry faded away. 


When we were finished projecting ourselves outdoors, we ventured into the mall & found another fun interactive installation: The Sketch Mirror by Daniel Rozin. (and some pretty ridiculously named stores.)


We couldn't get enough of this clever camera that turned us into sketch-like paintings. Definitely an exhibit where technology & artistry work together as a team. 




We rode back to Virginia Beach feeling refreshed & inspired and ready for another adventure!



1 comment:

Jordan said...

How delightful! I love Norfolk and wish I could explore it more often. I SO wish we could go on art adventures together!