9.04.2010

Vintage Family Photos.

I have an obsession!
I spend hours & hours marveling at old, vintage photos.
Like this one:

And this one:

Borrowed from Flickr.

I stare at old photos for hours & wonder what these people, forever immortalized in photograph form, were like. I wish I could talk to them & I make up my own stories about them in my dreams.

Borrowed from Flickr.


Last week, I visited my grandparents in Florida. I spent one evening immersed in vintage family photos starting from the beginning of the 1900s. To know that you exist because these people existed before you one hundred years ago makes the photos even more intriguing. These people are in my blood, or I guess their blood is in me, coursing through my own veins, passed down from generation to generation.

My grandfather showed me a photo of his grandparents, Stephan & Susanne. Susanne was born on July 29th, 1887. I was born on July 28th, 1987. She came into this world almost exactly one hundred years before me.
This photo was taken sometime between 1914 & 1918.
Almost a century old, The photograph is extremely cracked & faded and almost falling off of the cardboard that supports it's frail photo paper. I decided to scan & edit it to preserve it for my grandfather. This was the finished result.



Oh, a photograph is a powerful thing!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

gorgeous photos! gorgeous new layout. love love love love love love love!